Random Thoughts

Friday, May 7, 2010

Weekend Cooking

I have been on a cooking kick for the longest time. Sometimes I just like to gawk at the culinary creations of others, but in the past couple weeks I have really had the cooking bug. I bought The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook by Ree Drummond and I have been venturing into her world of Oklahoma ranch recipes. I've collected oodles and gobs of cookbooks and recipes over the years, but this one is definitely the epitome of country cooking. Last weekend I made the Pioneer Woman recipe for "Migas", a tex-mex version of eggs with veggies and tortillas. It was tasty. However, the breakfast potato recipe was the best.

For dinner and lunches this week I made my mothers recipe for vegetable soup. I change the recipe a bit every time I make it. I like to experiment with different ingredients, but somehow it always ends up tasting about the same. Yum!

I found another recipe for chicken salad that involved the use of curry. Alejandro wanted to try it so I made the salad for our lunches this week. On Monday I took it to work and ate half of the salad before I gave up. It was a blend of chicken, grapes, apple, almonds and a couple other ingredients including curry. The flavors of the salad were just too varied and didn't really jive with my stomach. I blame the curry for putting me over the edge. For some reason I have never been able to consume this Indian spice without having a slight heart palpitation or yuck reflex. The chicken salad is Alejandro's to eat.

We have so much laftover food from last weekend's cooking that I don't think we have much room left in the fridge for more. That won't stop me though. I want to cook! It's an adventure.

No comments: