Random Thoughts

Friday, May 15, 2009

The Track

I’m on track to get back to travelling, but it’s going to be a long road to get there. For the past two weeks I’ve been carpooling with Alejandro. It’s been a little exhausting. At the end of April I began noticing that my tires were squealing in turns where they shouldn’t squeal. Alejandro thought it might be the alignment seeing as how I have never knowingly had an alignment service performed on my car. Deep down though, I thought it might be something else.

Sure enough, it was something else. I took my little Mia, the Kia Optima, to the doctor and found out that the “subframe” was rusted out and on the verge of splitting in two. It was just a tad dangerous to drive, even though the doctor is not “authorized” to use that word. To be honest, I don’t quite know what a “subframe” is, but I do know that a picture frame is pretty much a square and protects the structure of a picture. So, it’s a pretty good guess that a “subframe” is pretty vital to the well-being of a car.

Seeing as how my little Mia has been through so many accidents since she was born in 2001 I thought it might be time to put her to rest. But, I’m not quite willing to add a car payment to my list of monthly bills. So, we googled the “Kia Optima Subframe” and voila, we have a used part and a doctor who is willing to perform transplant surgery. After shipping the subframe to Indy and acquiring a couple other parts I should have Mia back by the middle of next week I hope.

In the meantime, I must suffer the strain of getting up before dawn to travel with Alejandro to work before going to my job for a long ten hour work day. My body aches from lack of sleep and I’m grumpy because I am working extra hard to get major projects off the ground at the library. Stay tuned for more venting ….

No comments: