Random Thoughts

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Track, Part II

I was going to make a larger than usual payment on my credit card this month. It’s a three paycheck month and I didn’t have any other big expenses to deal with. I was so excited. The idea of being able to get even further ahead on my debt payoff schedule makes me, hmm, not happy, but fervently anxious. As it is, my schedule right now is about 8 months ahead of where I originally planned it. Not bad. But, it’s still not fast enough for me.

Why am I doing this at an accelerated pace you ask? I want a house. I want to diversify my investment portfolio and live someplace that doesn’t share walls with the neighbors. I can’t even begin to save for a house until I have paid down some of my debt.

Getting rid of debt and buying a house is like a car race. First, you must qualify for the race. I’m still in the qualifying stage. Like most rookies I am still learning how to deal with setbacks. This month my car has broken down and it is currently getting the attention it needs to survive hopefully another year or two. I need it to survive. Buying a new car is not a good option for someone who has a decent debt load and wants to get into the real estate circuit. So, I’ll get the most mileage that I can from this car.

I have a good track record though. My credit history is good and all I really need is a down payment. Once a chunk of the debt has been paid off I will begin saving for the house with Alejandro. If all goes well, we will be searching for sponsorship that will help us get a good home at the end of 2010 or 2011.

Probably the biggest challenge I am likely to face in the coming years of this race is to think about the long term. I was raised in an environment that thought only of the short term. However, somehow I have learned to dream further and think about how to travel farther. Let’s hope we make it to the finish line.

No comments: